Born on 13 April 1952 in Warsaw. Literary historian and theoretician. He is a Polish Studies and Slavic Studies graduate of the University of Warsaw. He obtained his doctoral degree in 1980, his postdoctoral degree in 1991 and the title of professor in 1996. Employed at the Polish Academy of Sciences Institute of Literary Research (IBL PAN), he heads the Historical Poetics Department.
He has written many books, critical editions (including works by Wat, Witkacy, Gombrowicz, Herling), several dozen papers in Polish and international publications as well as being the editor of a number of collective works. He has written about the output of Wacław Berent, Czesław Miłosz, Józef Mackiewicz, Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz, Witold Gombrowicz, Bruno Schulz, Gustaw Herling-Grudziński, Aleksander Wat.
His special academic interests include historical poetics, 20th-century literary history, Polish émigré literature, the theory and history of narrative forms, intertextuality, literary communication, literary research methodology as well as issues of modernism and postmodernism.
He has published numerous papers and books, including Historia i biografia. O Wacławie Berencie [History and Biography. Wacław Berent] (1978); Poetycki model prozy w Dwudziestoleciu Międzywojennym: Witkacy-Gombrowicz-Schulz. Studium z poetyki historycznej [The Poetic Model of Prose in the Interwar Period: Witkacy-Gombrowicz-Schulz. A Study on Historical Poetics] (1982; 1996); Widziałem wolność w Warszawie [I Saw Freedom in Warsaw] (1989); Pre-teksty i teksty [Pre-Texts and Texts] (1991; 1998); Ptasznik z Wilna. O Józefie Mackiewiczu [The Bird Fancier from Vilnius. Józef Mackiewicz] (1991), Prawdy niemiłe. Eseje [Unpleasant Truths. Essays] (1993); Polowanie na postmodernistów (w Polsce) [Hunting for Postmodernists (in Poland)] (1999); Rozmowy w Dragonei [Conversations in Dragonea] (1997) and Rozmowy w Neapolu [Conversations in Naples] (2000) with Gustaw Herling-Grudziński, Ciemna miłość. Szkice o twórczości Gustawa Herlinga-Grudzińskiego [Dark Love. Sketches on the Work of Gustaw Herling-Grudziński] (2005), Inna krytyka [A Different Criticism] (2006), Inny świat Gustawa Herlinga-Grudzińskiego [Gustaw Herling-Grudziński’s Different World] (2007); Ptasznik z Wilna. O Józefie Mackiewiczu. Zarys monograficzny [The Bird Fancier from Vilnius. Józef Mackiewicz. A Monographic Outline] (2007; 2nd ed. 2013); Modalności modernizmu. Studia, analizy, interpretacje [Modalities of Modernism. Studies, Analyses, Interpretations] (2013). During martial law he published under the pen name Jerzy Malewski. He is a member of the editorial board of the bimonthly Teksty Drugie (IBL PAN).
A beneficiary of the FNP’s Academic Grants for Professors programme in 2002.
He has been a visiting lecturer at many universities, including in France, the Netherlands, Canada, Germany, Slovenia, Switzerland, Sweden, the United States, Hungary, the United Kingdom. In 2000-2001 he was a visiting professor at the Slavic Institute of Uppsala University (Sweden); 1996-2004 -professor at the Department of Romanticism and Contemporary Literature of the University of Łódź; 2005-2009 – professor at the University of Warsaw’s Department of Theory of Literature and Poetics. A member of the Scientific Council of IBL PAN, the National Library, ERIH, the Polish Academy of Sciences Committee on Literature, PEN-Club, Association of Polish Writers, Warsaw Scientific Society, International Polish Studies Centre Foundation.
For more information, visit www.bolecki.eu.
Publications and presentations
- Interview: Lament humanistów [Cry of humanists], Odra, No 11/2015
- Paper: Oceńmy humanistykę [Appraisal of hummanity], Forum Akademickie, No 3/2014
- Article: Ocena jednostek naukowych w humanistyce (parametryzacja a ewaluacja) [Appraisal of humanistic science units (parametrisation vs evaluation)], Debaty Polskiej Akademii Umiejętności, Oceny nauki 16-18 listopada 2013
- Interview published on otwartanauka.pl: To już nie luksus – to absolutna konieczność [It is not a luxury – it is the necessity]
- Paper: Mobilny Uniwersytet [Mobile University], Panorama PAN, 10 (10) November 2013, p. 7-9
- Project: New Proposal for SSH_Horizons for Social Sciences and Humanities, Mykolas Romeris University, Vilnius, Lithuania, 23-24.09.2013
- Project: New Proposal for SSH_Horizons for Social Sciences and Humanities – presentation in the form of a video on YouTube – watch
- Paper: Po pierwszym konkursie NPRH [After the First Call for Applications in the National Programme for the Development of Humanities], Forum Akademickie, No. 4/2012
- Contribution to the discussion on the reform of science in Poland, Kronos 2011 No 1
- Humanistyka a reforma polskiej nauki [The Humanities and the Reform of Polish Science] (co-author), Forum Akademickie, No. 5/2009
- Reforma sektora nauki [Reforming the Science Sector] (co-author), Nauka Polska 2007 No. 16