Prof. Maciej W. Grabski

Dodano: :: Kategorie:
-A A+

Born on 20 June 1934 in Grabkowo near Warsaw, Poland, deceased on 12 February 2016 in Warsaw.

Professor of physical metallurgy and materials science. His field is the relations between microstructure and mechanical properties of metals, with special interest in the structure of grain boundaries and properties of metals. Contributed over 70 papers in international journals, two monographs and two academic books.

Graduate of the Warsaw University of Technology (1960). In 1959 joined the staff of the Materials Technology Department of Warsaw University of Technology (WUT), transformed into the Institute of Materials Science and Engineering in 1975, and eventually, in 1995, into the Faculty of Materials Science and Engineering. 1967 – PhD in physical metallurgy. 1969 – 1970 in the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science, Cambridge University, UK. 1979 – Associate Professorship, 1989 – full Professorship in materials science in 1981-1987 the Director of the Institute Materials Science and Engineering, elected for two consecutive terms of office. From 1981 to 1987 and then again from 1991 to 1996 a member of the Senate of WUT, member or chairman of various of Senate and University commissions, and since 1981 to now in the University Commission for Professional Ethic.

1990-1994 a member of the Expert Group at the Ministry of Education. Elected in 1991 and again in 1994 to the State Committee for Scientific Research (KBN), he was Chairman of the Technical Science Group of the Fundamental Research Commission, and from 1994 to 1997 – Deputy Chairman of the Applied Research Commission. Since 2000 in the Professional Ethic Group of the Minister of Science and Technology.

Member of the Warsaw Scientific Society (1988), a corresponding member of the Polish Academy of Sciences (1991), and a member of The Society for the Advancement of Sciences (1993). Recipient of Knight (1989) and Officer (1997) Cross of the Polonia Restituta Order, and The National Education Medal (1995). Received dr h.c. from Academy of Mining and Metallurgy, Cracow (1999) and from Warsaw University of Technology (2001).

President and Executive Director of the Foundation for Polish Science from October 1992 till September 2005.